i speak fish

and other delicacies

Monday, January 21, 2008

in limbo...

Update, part 2: the saga continues...

So it's Martin Luther King's Birthday, or Day of Remembrance. I always get confused because of President's day and who that's really for and then it all cascades into every other person-based holiday and then I end up confusing Anne Frank and Helen Keller (Clerks 2 anyone?)

Most people don't work today, but not me and the Big Guy. We're slaving (ha!) away in an empty office yelling back and forth at each other through his half frosted glass wall that separates us.

The Big Guy is a little computer-illiterate

"You have Fotochop?"
"Yea, I brought my computer in so I could use it"
"No I mean a CD of it so I can put it on mine"
"I got mine off the internet... illegally..."
"Oh, hmph... well I don't wanna do that... how else can I get it?"
"Buy it... hundreds of dollars though"
"Ohhh, ouch!"
"Yea."
"What's this illegal thing? How illegal is it?"

explaining torrents to this man proved not only useless, but time consuming.

"File sharing"
Questioning look....
"It's free, just, as long as you don't get caught..."

____________________________________________________________________

Back to the update. So it being MLK day most businesses are closed, and as aforementioned the lovely establishment I grace every day is not. Well at least not for the Big Guy and I. The rest of the floor we are housed on did not come into today so this is apparently what happened with the elusive, mysterious, curious, business cards.

It seems that around 10am (while I was at my desk mind you) UPS decided that I was not here, according to the website tracker. I'm fine with that conclusion because, for all intensive purposes, why would we be here. Regardless, I'M HERE!

So the cards, I am assuming, will arrive tomorrow that is if the government or some other agency doesn't take possession of them or UPS decides that I am not here again.

It is strange to be told, via internet that you "will not be receiving packages today" because "receiver is on holiday" it's like, the computer is fighting my battles for me. Or making plans for me that I just won't keep.

UPS, next time, let me pencil you in.

Over the past few days I got a lot of feedback, people telling me that they LOVE the business card story, that it really made them laugh, which I completely appreciate as it is one of my favorite things to do, i.e. Make people laugh. I too, thoroughly enjoy this story, especially when I get offers and opinions about why other people think the government took our cards. My father replied with a simple "Hmm..."

I occasionally thumb my existing cards from the same company, delivered on time, no problems. I inspect it for distinctive marks, or smells. Nothing. Just my name, title, contact information. I look for codes, maybe, just maybe my boss is involved with some CIA shit and he's the middle-man between the big-wigs and the small fish.

Maybe they found out about the Fotochop I illegally downloaded. Dammit. I've said too much already.

No comments: